Conversion in the 19th Century
Records of the Baptist church in Tewkesbury record that:
‘Our Meeting House being very old, much out of order and too small to accommodate those who would attend, a purchase of ground was made in Barton Street and a new meeting house begun September 1804.’
The new church in Barton Street was finally opened on 21st June 1805.
Following the construction of the new church, the Old Baptist Chapel was reduced in size by the conversion of the two end bays into cottages. The central section was left intact and retained as a much reduced Baptist meeting house. These alterations took place in the first half of the nineteenth century.
19th Century Exterior
Please click on the highlighted areas to read more.
This cottage was formed in the last bay of the chapel and still retained the chimney stack originally used for the pastor’s room.
A chimney stack was inserted on the southern cottage. The window frames would have been the same as those of the chapel, while the cottage door was probably the original one used for the chapel.